Monday, 14 June 2010

Excess Layers

I created a base dress in muslin and created panels in different lengths with pastel coloured organza and tulle. I stitched 20 layers of each panel together to get the excess effect.
After I got the silhouette of the dress with 140 layers (7panels of different lengths, 20 layers of each) stitched together, I started rolling up the already existing layers that gave a totally different look to the whole outfit.


Everytime I used to roll up a few more layers, I used to get a different silhouette all together. This was a very interesting and helpful exploration exercise for me as I could play with the silhouette so many times and get a different form in front of me every single time. I got the tulle fabric ombre dyed, one from light grey to dark grey (which included three shades of grey) and another one from sky blue to a deeper tone of blue (which also included 3 shades of blue from light to dark). The ombre dyeing gave an interesting effect to the whole ensemble as when I rolled the tubes, I could see different pastel shades of blue and grey mixed together giving a very interesting form.

As I was experimenting with the whole process of getting excess in different ways and get new silhouettes out of it, I rolled up the layers in different widths. Again I got very striking forms with each roll of a different width, length and position. I rolled up 2 organza layers together, then 2 tulle layers, rolled organza and tulle together, sometimes 2, 3 or 4 layers together in different widths.

As a result of experimenting with this rolling technique, I changed the original plain silhouette to an absolutely dramatic one with a combination of different pastel colours (from my pastel colour story). In the process I developed many distinct silhouettes from one original silhouette combining tulle and organza in different pastel shades. This was something really new for me as, in draping I played with the rolling technique for the first time and learned a lot from it. Not only this technique gave me the excess effect I wanted, but also I got a very prominent final silhouette which obviously came after the different silhouettes I had already explored. I liked the asymmetrical silhouette that I achieved in the end with the tubes hanging down from the left side longer than the right side and the torso full of excess fabric draped in 140 rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment